Do I need to collect a W-9 for a landlord if reimbursing an employee?

Historically, Harvard business travelers seeking reimbursement for rental accommodations (VRBO, apartments, etc.) were required to get a Form W-9 from the renting landlord. In consultation with OGC, the Financial Policy Office determined that collection of the W-9 from the renting landlord (and subsequent processing as a 3rd party payment) is no longer necessary as of 2/24/2020.